Sunday, July 14, 2013

Halloween Project 2013 - Soda Free Part 1

On June 18th 2013 I returned from a trip to China. I was invited back, after having lived there in 2012, to speak at a conference on Volleyball.  I made a pact with myself while there to start a personal journey of fitness upon my return to get back in shape.  Starting a gym this year (V CrossFit) coupled with a year and a half of neglect for my own health had left me low in strength and fitness and high in bodyweight and joint pain.  The upcoming blog posts will chronicle my journey and share the insights to my strategies, successes and failures.  I have been down this path before and as a fitness professional I certainly know better.  But I am human and have allowed myself to get distracted, make excuses, and fall into a bad cycle of health and habits.  

The first decision was to go "Soda Free". Notice the wording.  It's my choice and allows for freedom from soda. I am simply drinking other things.  Working to avoid the word "No" can be powerful when making change.  I love soda.  I can go a week without drinking water.  Really I can. i struggle to drink water with any consistency.  From 1 soda a day to 8 if I ate out a to eat. No real rhyme or reason.  I even had different sodas based on the time of day and the meal I had.  Pepsi was best with breakfast while Coke was the better choice with Italian dinner.  I'm not kidding. I love soda. 

Week #1 
Action Item - Find other less offensive drinks. Gatorade did the trick for me at work and home and when I had a meal at a restaurant I ordered a lemonade. And of course I choked down water.  

My good friend Andrea Gregrow was challenged to go without ice cream for 30 days and crushed it.  I am following in her foot steps and only have four days left to reach the first benchmark. 

The next challenge was food. Specifically Calories.  How many and from what sources.  I had had great success in a Paleo Diet 2 years ago and had leaned out to 175lbs.  At the start of this challenge I was 208lbs.  The end game is Halloween 2013. I believe I can return to my fighting weight of 175lbs with the correct strategy and support.   


No comments:

Post a Comment